So it is getting around to camellia season again. These are a few in flower this week.
We have had a few challenges over the seemingly endless hot and dry summer…..less that 100mm of rain from September to March and then 397mm in March. We were lucky with ex-cyclone Debbie – we got some wind and the following rain. No damage to speak of, just a couple of days without power.
So the camellias in the garden put on less new growth than they might have if we had received the usual spring/summer rain, but they are better for the rain and have put on flower buds. We have noted that the flowers have started later than last year and in some cases are a little smaller than we would expect. But nature has its way, and these beautiful plants will be enjoying the rain and the change to cooler weather.
There is not a lot to do with your camellias at this time of the year….perhaps keep water up to them – the wind can dry out plants quite a lot – trim out unwanted branchlets although this should have been done over spring and summer. Just sit back and enjoy the show.
Yes, we will have open days again this season, although we have had a steady stream of folk visiting by appointment already.
We plan to be available most Fridays and Saturdays, unless we have camellia shows or other commitments. We are still open by appointment at other times. Please contact us first.
Opening hours will be 8.00am to 3.00pm.
Here’s a list of dates:
- Friday 21 and Saturday 22 April – open
- Friday 28 and Saturday 29 April – open
- Friday 5 and Saturday 6 May – open
- Friday 12 and Saturday 13 May – open
- Friday 19 May – open
- Saturday 20 May – CLOSED. Plant Collectors Fair, Mt Coottha Botanical Gardens 20 and 21 May
- Friday 26 and Saturday 27 May – open
- Friday 2 and Saturday 3 June – open
- Friday 9 June – CLOSED
- Saturday 10 June – open. ALSO Maleny Garden Club Gardening on the Edge – 10 and 11 June
- Friday 16 and Saturday 17 June – open. ALSO Sunshine Coast Agricultural Show 16-18 June
- Friday 23 June – open
- Saturday 24 June – CLOSED.
- Sunday 25 June – Queensland Camellia Society Show and Camellia Sale – Albion Peace Hall, McDonald Road, Windsor, Brisbane.
- Friday 30 June and Saturday 1 July – open
- Friday 7 to Sunday 9 July – CLOSED. See us at the Queensland Garden Expo, Showgrounds, Nambour, 7 to 9 July 2017
- Friday 14 July – open
- Saturday 15 July – CLOSED. ALSO Friday 15 and Saturday 16 July – Toowoomba Camellia Show.
- Friday 21 and Saturday 22 July – open
- Friday 28 and Saturday 29 July CLOSED
More as we get closer to that time.
Come visit, walk the gardens, enjoy the 400 or so camellias in our garden, buy some for yours. Walk a forest, walk a garden….they say it’s good for you. But we’ve always known that……